What Is SUN School?
SUN stands for Schools Uniting Neighborhoods. The purpose of SUN Community Schools is to support students by using the school as a community center. SUN Schools offer services before, during and after school, evenings, weekends, and during the summer. At David Douglas High School SUN provides tutoring and homework help, safe community spaces and enrichment activities such as gaming clubs, culturally specific clubs, and gardening and cooking classes.
Parents and SUN:
- SUN is putting together a parent advisory group. If you are a parent interested in advising SUN programming and providing insight on how to better wrap around services at David Douglas please come by room 121 or call the SUN manager.
- SUN will be holding culturally specific parent nights to provide families with information about school practices and college access.
Services SUN Offers:
- SUN offers a food pantry on Thursdays from 5:00 to 6:30pm in the South Cafeteria.
- Daily food pantry in the SUN room (121) 10:30-5pm.
- ESOL classes for families Tuesdays/Thursday from 6:00-7:30 pm.
- SUN can provide housing assistance upon request.
SUN Dates and Events:
SUN is year round and the sessions are as follows:
- Fall: Oct 7th – Dec 5th
- Winter: Jan 13th – Mar 5th
- Spring: Apr 6th – May 28th
Additionally, our family events include:
- Back To School BBQ: Sept 24th, 2019 @ 5:30pm – 7pm
- SUN Winter Party: December 19, 2019@ 3pm – 6pm
- Civic Engagement Social: February 13th, 2020 @ 5pm-7pm
- SUNFest: May, 22nd 2020 @ 3pm-5pm
Who to Contact about SUN School:
Nicole Senders- David Douglas High School SUN Manager Cell: 503-421-6255 Email: email@example.com